In celebration of International Self-Care Day on July 24, StarVista’s Clinical Director, Clarise Blanchard, shares self-care tips and resources you can use to improve your health and well-being!
What is self-care?
The practice of self-care plays a primary role to develop, protect, maintain, and improve an individual’s health, well-being, and wellness. It is of particular importance during periods of considerable stress and pressure, especially as we are facing the COVID-19 pandemic.
Why is self-care important?
Self-care allows an individual to maintain and demonstrate a healthy relationship with themselves. It produces positive feelings and boosts an individual’s self-esteem and confidence. It also offers individuals the ability to better support the people they care most about.
5 Types of Self-Care:
The following should be kept in balance:
1. Physical Health: Eat healthy, sleep adequately, and exercise frequently
2. Emotional Well-being: Close your eyes, take a deep breath, check out how you are feeling and where you are holding those feelings in your body
3. Intellectual Awareness: Watch a documentary, a TedTalk, or a podcast
4. Relational Growth: Have a meaningful conversation with someone close to you, share a story or an important/significant event in your life and how it impacted you
5. Spiritual Dimension: Meditation, mindfulness exercise, earthing
How are StarVista staff encouraged/taught to practice self-care?
Those in leadership roles are encouraged to support and demonstrate the practice of self-care. Staff are encouraged to take micro-self-care moments throughout the day as well.
Self-Care during COVID-19:
July 24th is International Self-Care Day!
The International Self-Care Foundation (ISF) is a UK-based charity with a global focus. A champion that sees self-care as an integral part of people’s lives, ISF is striving to make self-care a more integral part of family, community, organizational, and social life.
Check out their website to learn more about self-care!